The Geotechnics Laboratory performs tests in the areas of soil mechanics, rock mechanics, engineering geology, geotechnical monitoring and instrumentation, unsaturated soils, and environmental geotechnics.
Lactec also offers the installation of field laboratories for on-site technological control. It also carries out geotechnical research and monitoring, conventional and special field and laboratory tests for industries, public and private institutions.
It also works in projects, dimensioning, development, and automation of equipment for field and laboratory geotechnical tests, as well as in the development of experimental techniques that provide knowledge or advance in knowledge about the geotechnical behavior of soils and rocks and small and large works in general.
Excellence in carrying out special geotechnical tests for the investigation and qualification of various types of soil used in works:
- Proctor compaction tests;
- CBR tests;
- Permeability tests;
- Direct shear tests;
- Unidimensional thickening tests;
- Triaxial tests ClU, CID, k0 and UU.
- Apparent specific mass of undeformed samples, using the hydrostatic balance (ASTM D7263-2009);
- Expansion test on loading (ASTM D4829:2011);
- Moisture content (ABNT NBR 6457:2016);
- Hygroscopic moisture content (ABNT NBR 6457:2016);
- Determination of organic matter content by burning at 440º C (ABNT NBR 13600:1996);
- Dispersive clay soils – Identification and classification by means of the pinhole test (ABNT NBR 14114:1998);
- Thin soils – Specific mass (DNER ME 085:1994 or ABNT NBR 6508:2010);
- Non-cohesive soils – Maximum voids index (ABNT NBR 12004:1990);
- Non-cohesive soils – Minimum voids index (ABNT NBR 12051:1991);
- Soil – Sand equivalent (DNER ME 054:1997);
- Granular soils – Constant load permeability coefficient (ABNT NBR 13292:1995);
- Clay soils – Variable load permeability coefficient (ABNT NBR 14545:2000);
- Hydraulic conductivity tests in flexible wall permeameter for effective confinement stress (ASTM D5084:1997);
- Direct shear test (BS 1377-7:1990);
- Direct shear test with reversion cycles;
- Direct shear test ground to rock polished interface;
- Triaxial CID, CIU and UU testing (BS 1377-8:1990 and ASTM D2850:2015);
- Triaxial test with local measurement of test body deformation (radial and axial);
- Triaxial test k0;
- Collection and storage of deformed soil samples (ABNT NBR 9604:2016);
- Collection and storage of undeformed soil blocks (ABNT NBR 9604:2016);
- pH (ASTM D4972:2018);
- Clayey soils – Evaluation of dispersibility by the crumb test (ABNT NBR 13601:1996);
- Load test on plate (30 cm diameter) (ASTM D1194:1994);
- Determination of field moisture content using the frying pan method.
- Inderbitzen test;
- Conventional geotechnical instrumentation – Piezometers, Inclinometers, Water level meters and instrumentation based on fiber optic technology; and
- Field geotechnical tests – Guelf permeameter and hydraulic conductivity.
* Several tests are accredited by the General Coordination of Accreditation of Inmetro (Cgcre). The complete scope of the accredited tests can be found at the link www.inmetro.gov.br/laboratorios/rble.